Gynecology, or gynecology, is the study of the treatment of diseases of the female sexual and reproductive tract. In a narrower sense, gynecology deals with the diseases of non-pregnant women as opposed to obstetrics.
The tasks of gynecology also include the treatment of diseases of the female breast and the corresponding preventive examinations (preventive medicine; so-called mammography). More on this topic can be found on wikipedia.
Annual gynecological checkup
Even though health insurance companies now only pay for routine examinations by gynecologists every 3 years, the majority of specialists still recommend annual checkups ("annual checkups").
The following examinations are part of the annual check-up:
- Detailed questioning
- Discussion of problems and questions
- Breast examination
- Examination of the external genitalia
- Examination of the vagina, the vaginal contents (infection?) and the cervix with taking the cancer screening swab
- Palpation of the uterus and ovaries
- If necessary, ultrasound of the genitals and/or mammary gland.
If this examination is performed due to a gynecological problem, it must always be paid for by the health insurance company, even if the last "normal" annual checkup was less than 3 years ago.