FUNCTION OF THE CONTRACEPTIVE RING
The contraceptive ring works in the same way as the "pill" with the difference that the hormones are not supplied to the body via tablets but via a flexible plastic ring which is inserted into the vagina for 3 weeks at a time.
CONTRACEPTIVE SAFETY RING
Like the pill, the contraceptive ring is a safe method. Again, safety depends on precise use, with special care taken to avoid accidental loss of the ring in the toilet.
ADVANTAGES CONTRACEPTIVE RING
- Safe, reversible contraceptive method
- Easy to use
- Regulates the menstrual cycle, resulting in fewer bleeding problems
- Reduces menstrual pain
- Reduces breast discomfort before the period
- Less anemia due to iron deficiency
- No need to take tablets every day
DISADVANTAGES CONTRACEPTIVE RING
- In rare cases the contraceptive ring can have side effects
- The risk of thrombosis is slightly increased with contraceptive ring, but very rare overall.
- However, this risk of thrombosis is lower than during pregnancy.
- The risk is significantly increased by smoking, obesity and high blood pressure.
- Unnoticed loss of the ring
- No protection against AIDS